Togbe Afede clarifies suit against Ghana Army

Togbe Afede XIV (left) shaking hands with President Akufo-Addo

The President of the National House of Chiefs and Agbogbomefia of the Asogli state of the Volta Region, Togbe Afede XIV, says his suit against the Ghana Army over the latter’s construction of a six-storey building only five metres from his property in Accra, does not attach the Attorney General and the Minister of Defence.

The two were named as respondents in the case which also sues the developer, Yao Addo Developments Limited.

In a press statement he caused to be issued by his office Friday, Togbe Afede said the regrettable inclusion of the two in the suit as respondents was the result of a miscommunication.

“We regret the inclusion of the Attorney General and the Minister of Defence in the action against the Army, in connection with the construction work taking place in the Army Mess at 37, Accra.

“This was the result of miscommunication between the lawyer and Togbe’s representative. The lawyer has been asked to withdraw the suit and only PLACE AN INJUNCTION on the Army and the developer, so that they will cooperate in the search for a solution to the problem created by the new construction at the Army Mess, which, at about 5 feet from Togbe’s wall, is too close for a 6-storey building. The closeness is the reason why debris has been falling from the new structure into Togbe’s compound.

“We wish to place on record the fact that the Army has been engaged on this matter since September, 2016 without any result. Meanwhile, construction has been in progress since then. The issues involved are not only those of privacy and security breaches, given that this is a commercial property development, but also compliance with existing building laws.”

–Graphic Online

Facebook Comments
Advertisements

Be the first to comment

Leave a comment