White House links teen rape case to failed immigration policies – Spicer

Sean Spicer

The alleged rape of a Maryland teen by an immigrant with an “alien removal” case pending shows why President Trump’s crackdown on illegal immigration is so crucial, White House spokesman Sean Spicer said Tuesday.

Spicer, at a press briefing, was asked about the case of Henry E. Sanchez-Milian, 18, and Jose O. Montano, 17, who were charged with raping a 14-year-old female student in a bathroom at Rockville High School last week.

U.S. Immigration and Customs enforcement says Sanchez-Milian was found in Texas last August by a border patrol agent who determined he entered the U.S. from Mexico illegally. ICE says Sanchez-Milian was issued a notice to appear before an immigration judge, but that the hearing has not been scheduled.

Spicer described the case as “shocking, disturbing, horrific.” He said there were a myriad of issues surrounding the case, including school security, why teens their age were in the ninth grade — and immigration.

“Part of the reason that the president has made illegal immigration and crackdown such a big deal is because of tragedies like this,” Spicer said. “Immigration takes its toll on our people if it is not done legally.”

Police said the victim was approached by the two suspects in a school hallway Thursday morning. One of the suspects then asked the victim to engage in sex. She refused, according to police. The suspect asked her again and then forced her into a boy’s bathroom stall at school.

Both of the suspects then raped the victim inside the stall, authorities said.

A judge said they were dangerous and flight risks because they have only been in this country for a couple of months. Montano came to the U.S. from El Salvador, Sanchez-Millan from Guatemala. The judge said Sanchez-Millan already was awaiting a removal hearing before an immigration judge.

He ordered them held pending hearings. Montano will have a preliminary hearing on March 31 and Sanchez on April 14. Police have charged Montano, who is a juvenile, as an adult due to the seriousness of the crime.

The school released the following letter:

Dear Parents and Guardians:

I am writing to inform you about a serious incident that occurred at our school yesterday, March 16, 2017, and share with you how it is being addressed.

It was reported to administration that a student was sexually assaulted by two students in a restroom.  We immediately contacted the Montgomery County Police Department.  The police conducted an investigation and subsequently executed arrests on school property of the alleged assailants. I am unable to share further details at this time as this is an ongoing police investigation.

Ensuring a safe, secure and welcoming learning environment for all of our students is our top priority. Our staff remains vigilant in the monitoring of our school each and every day. Please remind your child that if they believe they are a victim of an assault or see something inappropriate, they should immediately tell a staff member. 

–USA Today

Facebook Comments
Advertisements

Be the first to comment

Leave a comment